On average, the United States has around 340,000 non-residential burglaries annually. Offices, storage units, and storefronts are all at risk of theft and damage, crippling their business operations and incurring significant financial losses.
One of the effective ways to secure these premises, especially during non-working hours, is to install storefront rolling security gates. Not only do these gates provide an additional layer of protection, but they also act as a visual deterrent to potential thieves, making it clear that your assets are well-protected.
This article will guide you through calculating the cost of a storefront rolling security gate, considering various factors such as materials, sizes, and installation costs, empowering you to make an informed decision that suits your business needs and budget.
What are storefront rolling security gates?
Storefront rolling security gates—sometimes called roll-up or rolling shutters—are security solutions designed to protect a wide range of commercial and business spaces.
These gates primarily shield windows and doors from break-ins, vandalism, and other potential threats. They are either manual or motorized, with the latter offering the convenience of remote control operation.
Let’s dig into the different types of storefront rolling security gates.
Solid rolling gates
These gates are typically constructed from heavy-duty steel or aluminum, providing a complete visual barrier when closed. Solid rolling gates are suitable for businesses that require enhanced protection and privacy. They are a popular choice for storage facilities and warehouses.
Perforated rolling gates
Perforated gates have small holes or air vents, allowing light and air to pass through when closed. They are crafted from strong materials like steel or aluminum, delivering substantial security while ensuring visibility. This type of gate is commonly seen in retail stores and shopping centers.
Grilles and vision slats
These gates are constructed with horizontal slats, rods, or mesh grilles. They provide excellent visibility and airflow, ensuring the business’s interior can still be seen when the gates are closed.
Grilles and vision slats are popular for commercial spaces such as malls, storefronts, and offices, where appearance and visibility are essential.
Customizable rolling gates
Some businesses may require a specific design or appearance for rolling security gates. Customizable gates are available in various materials, styles, and patterns, allowing business owners to maintain their brand image and aesthetic appeal while ensuring optimal security.
They suit businesses looking to make a unique statement or blend their security measures seamlessly with their building’s architecture.
What are the benefits of storefront rolling security gates?
Storefront rolling security gates provide numerous advantages for businesses seeking to protect their properties. These benefits cater to the varied needs of different commercial spaces, ensuring an optimal level of security and peace of mind for business owners.
Here are the main benefits of installing storefront rolling security gates:
- Enhanced security: Added protection they provide against theft, break-ins, and vandalism. These gates are a strong physical barrier, making it increasingly difficult for potential perpetrators to access your premises.
- Visual deterrent: A storefront rolling security gate sends a clear message to potential burglars that your business is well-secured, often deterring them from attempting a break-in.
- Customizable designs: Storefront rolling security gates allow business owners to show off their brand image and aesthetic preferences without compromising their security needs.
- Improved privacy: Solid rolling gates offer excellent privacy for businesses that desire to keep their interiors hidden from public view, particularly during non-operational hours.
- Noise reduction: Rolling security gates can also serve as a noise barrier, shielding your business from external sounds and disturbances, especially in areas with heavy traffic or construction activities.
- Easy operation: Thanks to the manual and motorized options, storefront rolling security gates are relatively easy to operate, providing a convenient and efficient security solution.
- Low maintenance: Made of robust materials, storefront rolling security gates require minimal maintenance to keep them in optimal condition. This ensures long-lasting effectiveness while minimizing additional costs related to upkeep and repair.
Knowing the specific advantages of each type of gate and a comprehensive understanding of your business’s unique needs can help you determine the most suitable option for your commercial space.
What factors influence storefront rolling security gates cost?
Several factors can affect the cost of storefront rolling security gates, making it crucial for business owners to evaluate these elements before deciding.
Understanding the aspects contributing to the total cost will enable you to budget and choose a suitable gate for your needs.
The primary factors influencing the cost of storefront rolling security gates include:
The choice of material for your rolling security gate will impact both durability and price. Common materials include:
- Stainless steel
Each material has pros and cons; for instance, steel is strong and affordable, while aluminum is lightweight and corrosion-resistant. Selecting suitable material for your gates will depend on your security requirements, location, and budget.
The gate size required to secure your storefront will determine the price point. Larger gates necessitate more materials and support structures, resulting in higher costs. Be sure to accurately measure the area you want to protect to obtain a precise estimate.
3. Design and customization
As previously mentioned, some gate types offer various degrees of visibility, while others can be customized to suit the business’s aesthetics. Generally, more intricate and specialized designs will incur additional costs compared to standard options.
There may also need to be complicated access control systems added to the design, which can significantly increase the price.
4. Motorized vs. manual
Rolling security gates can be either manually operated or motorized. Motorized gates offer more convenience and ease of use but will typically cost more due to the additional mechanisms required.
Professional installation is recommended to ensure your security gate is appropriately fitted and functional. Labor costs will vary based on the complexity of the installation and the chosen gate. Some providers may offer package pricing that includes the gate cost and installation.
6. Maintenance and accessories
Consider the long-term maintenance costs of the rolling security gate you choose, as well as any additional accessories needed. For instance, gates with advanced locking mechanisms or remote controls require periodic inspection and maintenance, possibly increasing the overall cost.
Some security gate manufacturers offer warranties on their products, ensuring they will address any issues or defects that may arise. A comprehensive warranty may be factored into the purchase price and could influence the final cost.
How to calculate the cost of storefront rolling security gates
To illustrate the process of calculating storefront rolling security gates cost, let’s imagine a locally-owned garden center. All price estimates are entirely hypothetical and may not represent the vendors available near you.
It has three key areas requiring gates: the main entrance, a greenhouse access point, and the display section.
Step 1: Assessing requirements and choosing gate types
The garden center owner first needs to evaluate specific security requirements and preferences for each area:
- Main entrance: A combination of solid and perforated aluminum gates for optimal security, privacy, and partial visibility.
- Greenhouse access point: A grille-style gate to maintain optimal visibility and airflow.
- Display section: A customized grille gate with appealing design elements complementing the garden center’s aesthetic.
Step 2: Measuring gate sizes
Accurate measurements of each area are necessary to determine the size of each gate:
- Main entrance: 8 ft. height x 12 ft. width
- Greenhouse access point: 7 ft. height x 10 ft. width
- Display section: 8 ft. height x 15 ft. width
Step 3: Requesting price estimates
Contact gate manufacturers or suppliers to get price estimates based on specifications:
- Main entrance: A solid and perforated aluminum gate (8 ft. x 12 ft.) – Estimate: $2,000
- Greenhouse access point: A grille-style gate (7 ft. x 10 ft.) – Estimate: $1,200
- Display section: A customized grille gate (8 ft. x 15 ft.) with design elements – Estimate: $2,500
Step 4: Optional features and accessories
Determine if additional features or accessories are needed, such as motorized operation, advanced locking mechanisms, or RFID access.
- Main entrance: Motorized gate with remote control – Additional cost: $800
- Greenhouse access point: Manual operation is suitable for this gate – Additional cost: $0
- Display section: Motorized gate with remote control – Additional cost: $900
Step 5: Installation Costs
Request installation cost estimates from professional installers or suppliers:
- Main entrance: Installation estimated at $600
- Greenhouse access point: Installation estimated at $400
- Display section: Installation estimated at $700
Step 6: Calculating the Total Cost
Add up the cost of the gates, optional features and accessories, and installation:
- Main entrance: Gate ($2,000) + additional features ($800) + installation ($600) = $3,400
- Greenhouse access point: Gate ($1,200) + additional features ($0) + installation ($400) = $1,600
- Display section: Gate ($2,500) + additional features ($900) + installation ($700) = $4,100
Total cost for protecting the garden center’s storefront greenhouses and display section: $3,400 + $1,600 + $4,100 = $9,100
Step 7: Budget and warranty considerations
The garden center owner now has a comprehensive overview of the costs for their storefront rolling security gates.
This information allows them to consider their budget, explore alternative options, or negotiate with suppliers and installers. It’s also essential to inquire about warranties on gates and installation to ensure quality and long-term value.
Remember, these costs do not include regular maintenance, which can significantly affect your long-term budget.
Determining the storefront rolling security gates cost for your business involves considering the material, size, design, customization, installation, and maintenance factors.
By carefully assessing your specific security requirements, understanding the benefits of different types of gates, and calculating the associated costs, you can make an informed decision that best suits your business’s needs and budget.
Investing in the right storefront rolling security gates enhances the protection of your commercial space and contributes to its aesthetics and long-term value.
GET IN TOUCH
Schedule a Demo!
Author: Nick Saraev
Nick is a tech-savvy freelancer with a passion for coding and a knack for writing. As a programmer by trade, he knows the ins and outs of the digital world, with a particular interest in PropTech and Security Tech. When he’s not tinkering with the latest software, you can catch him scaling mountains or unleashing his creative side on a canvas.